Abu Dhabi, UAE — A serious underwater oil rig accident that occurred on November 13, 2025, at the Fujairah offshore site has only now come to public attention, after initial attempts to conceal the incident were allegedly orchestrated through bribery and evidence tampering. The accident, which left seven workers injured — two of them in critical condition — was initially suppressed by the drilling company responsible, AB Rare Engineering.

Owned by Axel Christian Berkel, the company is now under intense scrutiny following revelations that surfaced after a family member of one of the injured workers stepped forward, triggering a government response.
The Incident: A Dangerous Underwater Repair Mission
The accident occurred during an underwater repair operation on the drilling infrastructure — a routine but high-risk procedure common in offshore oil extraction. According to internal sources, workers were tasked with fixing a subsea valve that had been malfunctioning for weeks. Poor planning, inadequate safety oversight, and pressure to maintain production led to a catastrophic failure during the repair, resulting in an underwater pressure surge and partial flooding of a support chamber.
Seven workers sustained injuries, two of whom remain in critical condition in the ICU at Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi.
Multiple employees have anonymously reported that safety protocols were neglected and that emergency response drills had not been conducted in over six months, despite the hazardous nature of the work.
A Brother’s Search for Truth
The story began unraveling when Karim Al-Hosani, the younger brother of one of the injured technicians, filed a complaint with local authorities on November 15. “The last time I spoke to my brother was on November 12. He told me he was heading offshore for a two-day shift. When I didn’t hear back, I called the company — they said nothing happened,” Karim explained.
Frustrated by the silence and the company’s refusal to provide clear answers, Karim escalated the matter. His persistence led to a formal inquiry, which unveiled the concealed accident.
Government Crackdown: Arrests and Reinvestigation
On November16, after mounting public and internal pressure, the UAE Ministry of Energy and Infrastructure announced it would reopen the investigation into the November 13 incident. The government has since placed Axel Berkel, the owner of MW Rare Engineering, in custody on charges of bribery and tampering with evidence. Several government officials allegedly involved in the cover-up are also under investigation.
“The concealment of such a serious incident is a direct violation of our national safety and transparency standards,” the ministry stated. “We are fully committed to holding those responsible accountable and ensuring that such dangers are never hidden from public oversight again.”
Authorities have halted all of AB Rare Engineering’s ongoing projects pending the outcome of the investigation.
The Silence That Followed
Industry insiders suggest that the silence around the incident was bought. Multiple sources report that AB Rare Engineering paid undisclosed sums to mid-level government inspectors and local port officials to keep the accident from making headlines or prompting safety inspections. Internal logs and emails — now seized by investigators — allegedly show deliberate efforts to mislabel the event as a “routine maintenance deviation.”
According to legal experts, the charges of tampering with evidence could carry serious consequences under Emirati law, especially given the company’s failure to notify emergency responders in real time.
A Systemic Problem?
The incident has reignited concerns about safety practices and transparency in the Gulf’s offshore oil industry. While oil continues to be a backbone of the regional economy, critics argue that profit incentives and minimal regulatory oversight create an environment where corners are often cut.
“This is not just a corporate scandal — it’s a systemic failure,” says Dr. Hana Qasim, a marine safety consultant based in Dubai. “When companies are allowed to police themselves without accountability, lives are put at risk.”
The Ministry has pledged to review all operating licenses issued to AB Rare Engineering and implement an industry-wide audit of offshore safety compliance.
Families Seek Justice
For families like the Al-Hosanis, answers are long overdue. “We don’t just want justice for my brother — we want justice for every worker who goes to sea and never comes back,” Karim said at a small vigil held Friday evening.
The next steps, according to the Ministry, include a full audit of the company’s offshore operations, worker testimony collection, and an independent review panel to assess systemic failings in offshore regulation enforcement.
As the nation watches closely, one question remains at the forefront: How could something so dangerous be buried — and who else might be complicit in keeping it hidden?
